Jump to navigation Jump to search This article is about the city of Geneva. For the canton of Geneva, see Canton of Geneva. Romandy, the French-montreux, la Riviera Suisse 2016: Une Promenade le Long du Lac de Geneve a Montreux PDF part of Switzerland.
In 2017, Geneva was ranked as the world’s fifteenth most important financial centre for competitiveness by the Global Financial Centres Index, fifth in Europe behind London, Zürich, Frankfurt and Luxembourg. For the Catholic ecclesiastical history, see bishopric of Geneva. Geneva was an Allobrogian border town, fortified against the Helvetii tribe, when the Romans took it in 121 BC. In the Middle Ages, Geneva was ruled by a count under the Holy Roman Empire until the late 14th century, when it was granted a charter giving it a high degree of self-governance. Around this time, the House of Savoy came to at least nominally dominate the city. June 1814, Geneva was admitted to the Swiss Confederation.
In 1907, the separation of Church and State was adopted. Geneva flourished in the 19th and 20th centuries, becoming the seat of many international organizations. 09′ East, at the south-western end of Lake Geneva, where the Rhône flows out. The Geneva area seen from the Salève in France. The Jura mountains can be seen on the horizon. The city covers an area of 15. Of the land in the city, 0.